Makes 6 servings, 5 PP per serving if made according to the recipe. (if you switch to light butter and 1% milk, it will be 4 PP per serving)
- 4 oz reduced fat grated cheese (I used marble, but cheddar is also good for a sharper taste)
- 1 to 2 more oz reduced fat grated cheese (for topping)
- 1 head of cauliflower (remove the leaves and cut up into florets)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 dash of black pepper
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower well and put in a oven proof casserole dish lightly greased with butter or margarine.
- While cauliflower is cooking, melt the butter in a non-stick saucepan over low heat.
- Add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a smooth paste.
- Cook the mixture gently for a minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in the milk, a little at a time and return the pan to the heat and let it cook on low for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally until it thickens to a sauce consistency.
- Add the 4 oz of grated cheese into the saucepan and stir until it melts. Season it with pinches of the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- When the sauce has melted, pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle the reserved 1 to 2 oz cheese on top.
- Place under the broiler for a few minutes and until the top starts to bubble and brown.