- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat cracker crumbs (about 8 to 10 saltines, crushed)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup ketchup (sugar free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup, finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gather all ingredients before starting.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk and crushed crackers; let stand for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk the egg, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir the onion, salt, and pepper into the mixture.
- Add the cracker mixture to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Then add the ground beef. Blend well with your hands, but do not over-mix.
- Form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf and place it in a baking dish, a meatloaf pan, or a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake the meatloaf in the preheated oven for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Check after an hour to see if it is done
- If desired, spread more ketchup over the top of the meatloaf about 5 to 10 minutes before it's ready.
- The minimum safe temperature for ground meat is 160 F. The minimum for ground poultry is 165 F.