Spicy Stewed Eggplant
Serve alone with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese as a side dish, or serve over pasta or rice as a main dish.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 small cooking onion
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 1 can(s) tomatoes, italian-style diced
- 1 c frozen sliced, mixed bell peppers
- 1 to 2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil in a deep, heavy pot until onion is translucent. Do not let the onion get browned.
- Peel a large section of the skin from front and back of the eggplant, leaving a strip of the skin on both sides. Then slice the eggplant thinly, leaving a bit of the colorful skin on the edges.
- Put a layer of the sliced eggplant on top of the sauted onion. Spoon some of the canned tomatoes over the eggplant. Repeat layering until all the eggplant and tomato have be used up.
- Let this simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, checking regularly. Then add the frozen peppers and sprinkle the cayenne pepper over the top.
- Let this simmer on medium-low until the eggplant is soft, stirring a few times.
- Serve as a vegetable side dish, or mix with pasta or rice.